From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 00:39:26 EST
New Hampshire 5, at Harvard 2
at Boston University 11, Vermont 1

I caught the last half of the UVM-BU game on tv after getting home
from a night class (at BU, but not in Boston).  By that time it was
already over at 6-0.  Thomas was replaced by Jon Miyamoto in the UVM
net for the third, which was ugly in terms of action.  UVM coach Mike
Gilligan looked more than perturbed on the bench as his team seemed to
have packed it in.  Miyamoto can't be blamed on at least 4 of the 5
goals he allowed because of a total lack of defense.

Jack Parker could be heard telling his players to switch to a one man
forecheck to prevent running it up.  Grier scored 2 of the last 3
goals for BU, which, according to WABU, tied him with MSU's Anson
Carter (they called him "Allison" Carter) for the national lead at 17.
I thought it was admirable that Grier remained subdued after his goals
and didn't do any of the heavy celebrating that you might expect - no
need to rub it in at that point.

Since I missed the first half of the game, I can't be sure, but I
wondered if Vermont may have been tired after its road trip out to
Duluth last weekend.  Of course, BU also came off a tough series at
Maine, too.

But Vermont is nowhere near as bad as they looked tonight - these
things happen sometimes.  I remember Northeastern losing 9-0 at Lowell
early in the 1987-88 season...NU would go on to finish 2nd in HE that
year and capture the HE tournament championship.  Vermont will bounce
back.

One thing I'd like to see WABU do is give scores of other games.  I
had to get the UNH-Harvard result from the 11:00 news on channel 9 in
Manchester.  I don't recall hearing them give updates at all.