From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Dec 1994 15:19:00 EST
Brad Cuyler writes...
>I have seen a few letters written in the last couple of days discussing
>recruiting policies and teams only drafting players from their own
>particular state. People should understand the challenge facing smaller
>Colleges like Ferris, BGSU, OSU, LSSU, NMU, MTU, North Dakota and a
>number of other smaller schools out East competing for talented players
>against well known Colleges with successful hockey programs like:
>Harvard, BU, Boston College, Michigan St., Michigan, Wisconsin and
>Minnesota. Recruiting by these bigger schools is almost nonexistant.
>There are huge pools of talented players waiting for an opportunity to
>try out at a well known College.  Its now wonder why smaller schools
>have to go North into Canada to recruit players. You hardly ever see a
>game on Pass or Prime that doesn't showcase a well known College team. I
>have nothing against the way the system works today or nothing against
>bigger schools, but I think people should take their hats down to any
>smaller school with a succesful record and a good chance to win the NCAA
>title.

I agree, hats off to the smaller schools.  But this recruiting
argument is B.S.  Where are these "huge pools of talented
players" waiting at?  I can't speak for the other schools, but
I know that Michigan assistants Mel Pearson and Billy Powers
work their asses off recruiting from the East coast to Western
Canada.  The players aren't just standing outside of Yost
Arena saying, "Here I am, sign me up."

On my way to the College Hockey Showcase, I sat near a
Wisconsin assistant coach on the plane.  He was flying to St
Paul on the day of the game after spending Thanksgiving
week scouting/recruiting in Ontario.

I'm not an expert, but I'd say that recruiting is a BIGGER issue
at the big schools Brad mentions.  These are the schools
[other than Minnesota :-] that are out there scrounging the
rinks of North America week after week.  They probably have
a larger recruiting budget than many of the smaller schools.

On UAF in the CCHA, James Alexander writes...
>The "distance" argument is more illusion than substance.  It may
>be a long way from Fairbanks to Michigan, for example,  but the
>flight is still less than eight hours.  And that time need not be wasted.
>The players could use it as study time.

What shortcut do you know? :-)
I took the most direct path possible at this time of year from
Detroit to Fairbanks, and it's plenty more than 8 hours.  The
air time alone is 8 hours.  Direct flights from Detroit to Anchorage
are difficult outside of the Summer, so you have to go Detroit
to Seattle to Anchorage to Fairbanks.  Factor in the drive from
Ann Arbor to Detroit, three takeoffs/landings/loadings/unloadings
as well as a little layover time and you're now looking at 12-16
hours.  [Not taking into account the 4 hour time difference.]

>Notice that UAA was admitted to the WCHA two years ago.  It's actually
>farther from Denver to Anchorage than it is from Fairbanks to Michgan, but
>that didn't control the WCHA's decision.

On what map?  From where in Michigan, Copper Harbor or
Ironwood?  I just don't believe this...not even as the crow flies.
I'd agree that the straight line distances are probably close,
much closer than most people would think, but the practical
nature is again flying through Seattle.  So, you're looking at
Denver to Seattle versus Detroit to Seattle.  Now, for the Detroit
trip, add another hour to get from Anchorage to Fairbanks.

Also, let's not forget that it's the Alaska schools who have
a big say in the flight path...after all, they are paying for the
tickets.  When Michigan traveled to UAF, they passed through
Cincinnati, Salt Lake City, Seattle and Anchorage.  Hardly
an 8 hour schedule.

Apologies if the above tone is negative...working on Saturday
can do that to me. :-)

John Haeussler
Univ of Michigan
My 1994 College Hockey Showcase t-shirt says
"Big Ten Border Battle".  What in the hell do Michigan,
Minnesota and Wisconsin border other than Lake
Superior...which certainly isn't worth battling over?
[And doesn't even border the lower peninsula...home
of the Spartans and Wolverines.]