From:
Alan Harder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan Harder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 1994 13:39:00 -0500

>> Is there another state with as many highly regarded
>> hockey programs as Michigan?

 > Well... yeah.  Massachusetts has Boston University, Northeastern,
 > Boston College, Merrimack, UMass-Lowell, UMass-Amherst within its
 > borders.

Not that my list of Michigan Div 1 programs were all nationally-ranked
teams, but you've named some arguably no-name (nationally-speaking)
colleges here.  Or am I wrong on this?

 > UNH and Providence are barely outside its borders and
 > arguably feed on the same talent pool.

Of course, Michigan is only a stone's throw from Ohio and Wisconsin,
so I guess you could say Michigan programs have to fight it out with
Wisconsin, Miami, Bowling Green, etc.  Of course, claiming that that
might be somewhat of a stretch.

 > In fact, one could argue
 > that Maine is the only Hockey East member that is not within the
 > Massachusetts sphere.  And even Maine gets a lot of Mass players.
 > I don't have their roster this year, but from last year's roster
 > you can find 8 Massachusetts players: Andy Silverman, Dave
 > MacIssac, Mike Ray, Chuck Texeira, Tim Lovell, Brad Mahoney, Cal
 > Ingraham, and Trevor Roenick.  And you can definitely add Jamie
 > Thompson for this year.

 > DaveH

Making the whole thing even worse for eastern teams is that the talent
pool of Massachusetts players that know how to pronounce their R's is
incredibly tiny!  ;-)

-Alan Harder
 Go Blue!

The above commentary, which does not *even* represent the opinion of
the American Mathematical Society, is sold by weight, not by volume.
Some settling of the contents may have occurred during shipping.