Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 1994 08:43:45 -0900
Perhaps another perspective to this discussion is in order.  I have been
an active follower of college hockey in Alaska since the early 80's.  I
am a UAF alumnus and knew several Nanook players quite well when I lived
on campus as an undergraduate.  As former coaches Shaeffer (Notre Dame)
and Lucia (Colorada College) will no doubt agree, recruiting Alaskans, or
Americans for that matter, is not so easy to do in a state with only a
half million people which is so far removed from the Lower 48.

As I'm certain is the case down south, coaches are assigned the task of
building the strongest, most viable program with available resources.
In Alaska, at least, this has always meant recruiting Canadian skaters.
Michigan State can no doubt testify that we occasionally are able to
surprise our fellow Division I opponents.

An extra benefit is the effect these young men have had on our
community.  Through their success, we have been able to positively
influence young skaters in the area.  Both UAF and UAA have more Alaskan
skaters on their rosters now than ever before.  In fact, the Nanooks'
leading scorer, Pat Williams, is a lifetime Fairbanksan.

Another bonus is that the vast majority of Canadian players graduate and
remain in the community after completing the program.  Many choose to
settle as permanent residents, often continuing their participation in
the sport through coaching.

In sum, a good coach will field a "team" no matter what its composition
as individuals.  UAF, for one, would not enjoy its current level of
success (nor recent full acceptance into the CCHA) without the dedication of
coaches and willingness of players to commit themselves to Alaska.  For
the Minnesotas and Michigans of the world, I offer this advice:  Be proud
of the fact that you have such strong youth programs established from which
you can recruit in-state players of high caliber.  But also remember where
the game was born and think back to a time when you too had to look northward...

Mark Sonnier

P.S.  I'll be attending (hopefully) all of the games during the Great
Alaska Faceoff over Thanksgiving.  For all you Mass-Lowell, Western
Michigan and Illinois-Chicago fans, I'll try and get some game summaries
posted.  Drop me a line if anyone is coming up for the tourney.