From:
John Davenport <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Davenport <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 1994 16:26:50 -0500
On Tue, 22 Nov 1994, Alan Harder wrote:

>  > Yes!!!  I was wondering when this question would come up.
>  > Especially regarding Maine not getting any first place votes, and
>  > why the heck BU is in first.  I can find no justification for the
>  > Terriers to be in 1st place.  Even the die-hard BU fans on our list
>  > have been disappointed in them.  Well, Maine should get a few first
>  > places votes once they beat BU in the Great Western Freezeout, even
>  > more if they end up meeting Princeton instead of BU.  (Wishful
>  > thinking)
>
> I attended the game which caused Michigan to fall out of first place
> in the hockey polls.  UM's best player, Mike Knuble was out serving a
> one game suspension due to a game misconduct.  UM's second best
> player, Jason Botterill (sp?) was thrown out early in the game with a
> game misconduct.  With both players out, Miami went on to win win 4-3.
> Their goalie (whose name I cannot remember) was unconcious, stopping
> numerous close shots, including two breakaways.  The next night, with
> their team at full strength, UM easily defeated Miami 7-4.

It looks like somebody's got to come to the defense of the Redskins.
Yes, I will admit that two of Michigan's top players were lost for much
of Friday's game.  However, to say that Saturday's game was easy implies
that one saw the first minute and the final score.
After giving up two goals in the first :32, Miami came around and closed
the score to 5-4 with 6:00 to go in the third before giving up a power
play goal to put the game out of reach.  An empty-netter (which the fans
still told Chuck Thuss, the 'Skins goalie was 'all his fault') closed out
the scoring.  I would hazard the guess that the majority of the crowd was
feeling a little anxiety towards the end on the final period.

This is not to say that the Wolverines are not a very good team...I have
no serious problem with where they stand in the polls currently.  But
they are not dominant; especially against Miami, who holds a 3-2
advantage over the Blue and Maize since the start of last year.

> My point?  The polls are fickle, with only the won-loss record seeming
> to mean anything, and the circumstances of a victory or loss seemingly
> not being taken into account.  Thank goodness we have a playoff in
> college hockey and don't have to rely on any poll to crown a national
> champion!

Amen to that, but while it seems every other team has had someone argue
for more poll points, how about Miami, especially after splitting with
the then No. 1 team, and when the Bulldogs of FSU get a point?  Just a
point or two would satisfy me. :)

> > > -Alan Harder
>  Go Blue!
>
> The above commentary, which does not *even* represent the opinion of
> the American Mathematical Society, is sold by weight, not by volume.
> Some settling of the contents may have occurred during shipping.

John Davenport
Miami University '94
U. of Nike (Michigan) 'xx
Go 'Skins!