From:
Brian Gentry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Gentry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 1994 14:34:01 -0500
Not wanting to continue a flame war, but.....

Brian Sprague wrote:
Yes!!!  I was wondering when this question would come up.  Especially
regarding Maine not getting any first place votes, and why the heck BU is
in first.  I can find no justification for the Terriers to be in 1st
place.  Even the die-hard BU fans on our list have been disappointed in
them.  Well, Maine should get a few first places votes once they beat BU
in the Great Western Freezeout, even more if they end up meeting
Princeton instead of BU.  (Wishful thinking)

-Brian

Since BU is going to beat Princeton, how would Maine facing Princeton help
them in the polls?  I don't think the pollsters would reward Maine for losing
in the first round! (to Notre Dame?) :)

Seriously though, it is still too early in the season to be worried about
polls.  Much of the polling at this point is still weighted towards preseason
expectations.  That is why Maine is not ranked #1, i.e. people didn't expect
them to do this well.  This attitude will change as the season progresses.  If
Maine continues to do this well, they will eventually be #1.  The probable 3
games in a row against BU will truly show if Maine is this good or not.  If
Maine can possibly win at least 2 out of 3 ( doubtful :) :),  I can't see any
reason why they shouldn't be #1.

Brian Gentry  BU'95
Go TERRIERS!