From:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 1994 11:23:20 -0700
Bill Fenwick wrote:

> It's odd how you never hear anything about the supposed advantage of
> Cornell's ag school now that the Big Red is a middling ECAC team...
>

> Bill Fenwick                        |  Send your HOCKEY-L poll responses to:
> Cornell '86 and '94.5               |  [log in to unmask]

I suspect that Harkness was unabashedly willing to take advantage of the
supposed Ag school stashing to recruit the "raw-boned" farm boys to play
college hockey at Cornell. In those days, hockey players who chose the
college route were the ones that were not talented enough to even dream of
the NHL, and so besides playing hockey, were also thinking of a major that
might help them afterwards, and I bet ole Ned used that a bit:  "Come to
Cornell, play four more years of top notch hockey and then be able to come
home with an Ag degree..."  Whatever, it worked effectively, and probably
current Cornell hockey staffs are more reluctant to use this for whatever
reason.

re: Ned's comments about Ontario and physics, yes Ned, sounds sexist to
me... there are plenty of good Canadian physicists and I bet some of them
even played hockey!  A good example is RPI's Joe Juneau, who came to the
US,had to learn english, finished aero engineering I think in 3 yrs and
finished an MS while playing college hockey!

Tony Buffa
RPI Physics '64