From:
Justin Doherty <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Justin Doherty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 1994 19:34:32 CST
In an effort to clear up the "pelting" issue regarding the North Dakota-
Minnesota series two weeks ago...

Most of what was thrown on the ice after the Saturday night game were full or
half-full bottles (plastic) of Powerade, a "sports drink" similar to Gatorade.
Powerade was one of the game's sponsors that night and the Powerade people had
been distributing free samples of their product during the game.  There were
several different flavors, thus the colorful ice afterward.

As far as littering the ice after games being a tradition at North Dakota, I
would say that is incorrect.  I have seen every home game over the last two and
a half years and last Saturday was the first time I remember fans littering the
ice to that extent.  Maybe it happened years ago, but it hasn't happened in
recent years.

Justin Doherty