From:
Steve Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Nov 1994 23:05:22 CST
The Wisconsin Badgers defeated the Northern Michigan Wildcats
Saturday night in Madison to complete a weekend sweep.  The final
score was 4-2, and the Badgers find themselves temporarily in first
place in the WCHA.

Here is the partial recap I got during the post-game show.  (Assists
may not be complete.  Apologies for misspellings, etc.)

NMU     1-1-0 : 2
UW      2-0-2 : 4

1st Period
  :38   UW   Williams(6), Mike Strobel          1-0
 6:31   UW   Mike Strobel(3), Ellick, Spencer   2-0
??:??   NMU  Green(3)                           2-1

2nd Period
 9:13   NMU  Hadden(8)                          2-2

3rd Period
14:08   UW   Tompkins(2), Tok(1), Carter(4)     3-2  [shg?]
19:39   UW   Strobel(4)                         4-2  [shg!]

Saves
NMU Bartholomus (?)  35
UW  Daubenspeck      25

Penalties
NMU 13/34 min
UW  11/30 min

Power Play
NMU  0/4
UW   0/6        [The Badgers' PP s*cks again this season.  sigh...]

Shots on Goal
NMU  27
UW   39

Notes:  A good game.  Not too many penalties until midway through the
game.  I'll look forward to watching it tomorrow night.  I like the
chemistry of the Badger team this year.  No "superstar" egos getting
in the way of the team focus.  I think that as the younger players
mature throughout the season, the team overall level of play will
solidify.  [Why did we have to play the Goph's so early this year?]

Now if only something could be done with their power-play (Sauer-play).
What is with Sauer's teams and their inablity to score when they have
the man-advantage?  This has been going on for years, with no signs
of improvement.

Mark Strobel will be out a week or three with strained ligaments in
his right(?) knee suffered in last nights game.  It's the same injury
his brother Mike suffered in Minnesota earlier this year, but to the
opposite knee.  (Mirror twins?)

====
Of tangential interest, I was able to listen to the game from my
home in Milwaukee (!).  Earlier this season, someone sent a post
about the GE Superadio.  Seeking relief from severe College Hockey
Deprivation Syndrome (CHDS [tm]), I bought one at Best Buy two weeks
ago for around $47.

It worked well enough for me to hear nearly all of the game
with moderate to good sound quality, something I've never been able
to do at night from my home.  Only on a few occasions tonight did the
signal fade enough so that I couldn't hear the play-by-play.

The radio has very good (mono) sound and good reception.  It has a
switch for AM that lets you select between "Wide Band" for strong
local stations and "Normal" for "maximum selectivity of adjacent
stations".  This setting let me pick out WIBA's signal without any
problem.

My next step is attaching an external AM antenna to try to clear up
the occasional fade-outs!

====
BTW, I think that we should name a ceramic dalmation in Charlie
Shub's honor for his... ummm... interesting ranking system.  We
now have a replacement for the late, lamented TCHCR (tm).  No
messy strength-of-schedule considerations or anything.  (I wonder
who'll finish as runner-up to the Tigers?)

--
Steve Manning                                   Let's Go Red
Milwaukee, WI                                 ("Let's Go Cardinal"