From:
"Glenn W. Gale" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenn W. Gale
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1993 16:32:00 -0500
John Kupiszewski wrote:

>>"Or are our liberal University heads so stuck on themselves that
>>they won't let the student body have fun away froom classes?"

G.M. Finniss replied:

>As many who know me may tell you, I am one of the most staunchly conservative
>people out there.  And I think that the rules are a good idea, as long as we
>don't get carried away with it.

     I see nothing ironic about the response, since this has nothing to
do with being "liberal" or "conservative."  Pounding on the glass and
throwing things on the ice are just dangerous and dumb, in my opinion.
Thus the NCAA tries to minimize such things.  We need to stop looking
for ideological motives of any stripe where they don't exist.
     I do have a problem with rules against "abusive" yelling, however
(even though I abhor boorish behavior).  Morality and good taste can't
and shouldn't be legislated (you know, the First Amendment and all that)
and it will always come down to who gets to decide what is "abusive."
Of course, if someone insists on repeatedly spewing profanities, those
within earshot of the offending mouth ought to politely let the person
know what an ass their making of themselves.  If the person responds to
criticism in a threatening way it can then be assumed that they represent
a safety danger and an usher should toss them out.

Thanks,
-Glenn