From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 1994 21:31:18 CST
"John E. Kupiszewski" writes:

> that really bothered me.  During the first intermission the students
> in front of me were warned by public safety not to beaat on the glass.
> If they did, they would be removed from the game and their season tickets
> would be removed.

> that had these warnings.  My question is are we the only univeersity that
> has this B.S. policy?  Is this some kind of NCAA ploy to take fans out of
> the game?  Or are our liberal University heads so stuck on themselves that
> they won't let the student body have fun away froom classes?

Well, no.  I sat in the front row of the NE section in the old Mariucci one
year.  Arena security would always warn other fans who pounded on the glass.
(Well, actually, it was a little annoying, because they only seemed to warn
*Gopher* fans who pounded on the glass.   I remember a bunch of us yelling at
the security guard late in the season when visiting fans pounded on the glass
and were not admonished!  ;-) )  I don't think they ever had to eject anyone.
One guy down the row from me was summoned for a private chat with the security
guy, once, but he apparently just got a stern warning and henceforth refered to
the security guy in our section of the arena as "Mr. Happy".  (which was how we
addressed him when the visiting fans were pounding on the glass...)

And I'm sure your "liberal University heads" would be glad to let the student
body have fun if it didn't interfere with anyone's safety.  Personally, I've
always found it possible to have fun at hockey games without pounding on glass.
It sounds to me like it was handled well (as it was at Mariucci) -- they gave
the people fair warning.

Pam Sweeney                             Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]       1993 & 1994 WCHA Playoff Champions
                                   1994 NC$$ PHinal PHour
                                        Ski-U-Mah!!!