Steve Wintner [log in to unmask]
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 1994 21:10:58 GMT
Dujmovic, Mike A. ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: --Boundary (ID bkY9LzEArQg5YkNcFViSqA)

: My son, who is a goalie (or I should say  GHOULIE, in keeping with the
: season)  for his high school  team and uses one of the new style goalie
: masks.  In fact I am starting to see more of these types of helmets being
: used by the kids who are playing in goal in our league.

: The particular mask he uses is made by Badger, and the catalog he ordered it
: from stated that the mask was HECC approved.  The catalog also had other
: goalie helmets of the same style that weren't HECC approved and this was
: stated by the ad for those helmets.   In all of the various catalogs he has
: received they usually state whether the helmet is HECC approved

: The main difference I saw on the masks that were HECC approved and non-HECC
: approved  was the cage.  The non-HECC approved masks had a cage with a
: "cat's eye" type opening, while the approved masks had a conventional cage
: with square openings of  about "1 inch by 1 inch".  But not knowing what
: constitutes HECC approval versus non-approval I won't carry this point any
: further.

: He recently received a catalog from Don Simmons which specifically stated
: that certain cages weren't HECC approved.

: Mike Dujmovic

Cats eye cages are not approved by the HECC because it is possible to fit the
butt end and blade of a regular stick through some of the gaps. HECC approval
is required for use in most youth leagues by the insurance companies. These
masks provide greater protection and visibility, so it's not suprising that
more goalies are wearing them, I will be buying one sometime soon...

-Steve Wintner ([log in to unmask])