From:
Rick Scero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 1994 15:37:28 EDT
*Message:
From: SCERO at OLEC
Date: 10/26/94 3:24PM
To: INTERNET:[log in to unmask] at OCF_INFORM
Subject: Re[2]: NCAA rules concerning goaltenders
Contents:

Brad Cuyler said, in part..
>I was just wondering when the NCAA allowed college net minders to wear
>the now common fiberglass goalie helmet with the cage.  ...

Waynes reply....
> Rule 3-3.d of the 1995 NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Rules (this year's) says
>
> "It is compulsory for all goalkeepers to wear HECC-approved face masks.
> No form-fitting face masks are permitted."
>
> This rule has not changed in the 4 years of rule books I have.  Perhaps
> the HECC-approved status has changed?

The masks/helmets worn by these goalies are now HECC approved.  There are only a
few of this type that are. If you look, you will see the small red/white/blue
sticker on them which reads HECC...  The difference between these and those of
several years ago many. The most important being the new masks now cover the
entire head, the old ones covered the face and only had a small skull cap on the
back.  These new mask also have extended sides which prevents the head from
taking the full force of an impact when falling backwards. The eye holes on the
new mask are also sized so sticks can no longer get inside of them.  As for
protection, I'd say the cage is better. With the form fitting mask, cuts are
still a very real reality.

Rick