From:
Chuck Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 1994 15:01:00 C
> Another coach at the hockey school was almost famous.  Tom Vannelli.  I
> believe he was the last person cut from the 80 Olympic team.

>>Nope .... Last player cut was UNH forward (and all-time Wildcat scoring
>>leader) Ralph Cox.  Until Jeff Lazaro played in the Olympics just past,
>>this was the closest any UNH player ever got to making a Team USA squad.

My knowledge has also always been that Les Auge from Minnesota was the last
player cut.  (If anyone saw the movie "Miracle on Ice", I believe that he was
played by the same guy that played Killer Dave in Slapshot.  Ralp Cox was
played by some guy that acted like a jerk and no one on the team liked
him. . . .not to insinuate that that information is true.)  I base my
statement on other, more factual knowledge, however.  (I just can't remember
what it is at the moment.)

Also, Janaszak (yes, it's Steve) was not a Badger.  He was a Gopher.  The
only Badgers on the team were Bob Suter and Mark Johnson (who, by the way,
was the leading scorer w/ five goals--including two against the Russians--in
the tournament).  Johnson scored the game tying goal w/ one second left in
the second period. . . .then Tretiak got yanked.  By the way, if anyone has
knowledge of why Tretiak did get pulled, I'd like to know.  That's always
bothered me.  He was the best goalie in the world and the game was tied.  (Is
it possible that the greatest victory in U.S. hockey history was fixed???
Sorry, I'll wash my mouth out w/ soap)  :)

One last question.  What's Craig up to now?  Last I heard (quite awhile ago)
was that he was selling insurance and had gotten into an accident in which a
woman in another car was killed.  Then what happened?

Thanks for the help,

Chuck

Chuck Sackett                              Wisconsin Badger Hockey!
[log in to unmask]                NCAA Champs:  1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990!!!
Minneapolis, MN                                 ON WISCONSIN!