From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 1994 16:55:22 EDT
Wayne writes (about the controversial Minn goal Friday):
>   This has been discussed elsewhere on HOCKEY-L, but the reversal seems
>   like the WRONG call to me, no matter what the replay showed, *if* the
>   referee blew his whistle when he should have (he apparently *thought*
>   it was a hand-pass).  The play was then dead at that point ...  no
>   matter whether it was a good call or not.

The key is when the whistle blew...if he blew the whistle *after* the
puck went in the net (which was what I thought happened), then
determined that the call he was going to make was wrong, then there
isn't a problem with allowing the goal.  If he blew the whistle before
it went in the net, then there is no way the goal should have counted.

Otherwise, it seems that he'd be disallowing the goal based on when he
"intended" to blow the whistle.

So, can anyone who was there or saw the replay verify when the whistle
blew?
     <<<<< Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors (WCCM 800 AM) >>>>>