From:
"Glenn W. Gale" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenn W. Gale
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1993 22:57:51 -0400
Elmira   2-0-1---3
Clarkson 1-5-2---8

Unofficial shots:  Clarkson 57, Elmira 14

     NCAA hockey returned to Potsdam tonight, as the Clarkson Golden
Knights faced off against the Elmira College Soaring Eagles.  It was
about as colorful a game as one could imagine, with Clarkson wearing
their alternate home colors (gold jerseys and socks with green pants)
and Elmira sporting bright purple.
     The Knights stormed the Eagles' end in the early going, and Dave
Seitz scored on a power play (the first of many) in the games second
minute.  Elmira returned the favor on a power play, and took the lead
on another power play goal which deflected in off a defender's skate.
It looked like things weren't going the way they were supposed to for
Clarkson as the first period ended 2-1 Elmira.
     Early in the second the pivotal play in the game occurred when
Elmira goalie Jamie Cuff let in a soft goal from Seitz to tie the
game.  It was evident that the fire went out of Elmira at that point,
and soon the rout was on.  Seitz scored again to complete his hat
trick, then goals from Robitaille, Mueller, and Robitaille again
closed out the period with Clarkson up 6-2.  Clarkson goalie Dan Murphy
had faced only 9 or 10 shots in the first two periods.
     Freshman Scott Ricci came on to replace Murphy in goal for the
game's last 13 minutes.  He allowed one goal but made a few nice saves
as well.  Clarkson scored twice (Tuomainen and de Ruiter, I think, but
I'm not sure) to close out the scoring.  I felt sorry for Elmira's
goaltender with all the shots he had to face.  He played pretty well
under the circumstances, and had a very impressive glove hand with
which he robbed several Clarkson snipers.  Claude Morin, the Senior transfer
from Kent State, played his first game for Clarkson and picked up a
couple of assists I think.  He impressed me with his speed.  Freshmen Dana
Mulvihill, Nicholas Windsor, and Scott Ricci also saw extensive action for
Clarkson.
     It was a good performance for the Knights, but it remains to
be seen how they will fare against Division I competition.  Their next
game is at Boston College next weekend, after which they return home
for a pair against powerful Western Michigan of the CCHA.

Thanks,
-Glenn