From:
Mike Long <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Sep 1994 16:40:51 EDT
>Date:         Sat, 24 Sep 1994 09:41:43 EDT
>From: [log in to unmask]

>     I have a couple of friends who graduated from one of the institutions
>mentioned in posts who do not give scholarships,  period.   These friends
>played football,  and the institution has an oustanding record in football.
>The whole team,  according to my friends,  was on scholarship.   Not 100%
>rides,  but REALLY substantial portions of expenses.   How on earth is
>that reconciled with the public position?   The entrance requirements for
>this school are very high and competitive,  so I suppose anyone who gets
>in can be awarded an "academic" scholarship.:-)

One stat that I remember seeing at Cornell is that 75% of the student
body receives some form of financial aid.  I was neither an academic
nor an athletic hotshot, but nonetheless I got substantial grants from
Cornell because I NEEDED them.  Once you've exhausted the portions of
your parents' and your own resources that they require, and maxed out
on the loans, they make up the rest.  That's what need-based financial
aid is all about.

Supposedly all students are equally eligible.  As to whether the
football coach at your friends' alma mater is chummy with the
financial aid office, that I don't know.
--
Mike Long                                         [log in to unmask]
VLSI Design Engineer                    (PGP 2.6 public key available)