From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 1994 15:48:48 -0400
I am typing this as an avid BU basketball fan as well as hockey fan.
<necessary disclaimer>

On the question raised in the Boston Globe of whether the B-Ball team or
hockey team would get the new arena (as if they had to choose), it would
most definitely go to hockey.

To put it bluntly, the BU basketball fans don't deserve a new arena.

Both teams are deserving of good facilities, but not the fans.

I was an avid BU B-Ball fan long enough to remember the 88-89 and 89-90 teams
which were ranked the third highest in New England, ahead of schools such as
BC, NU, Holy Cross, etc., and behind only UConn and Providence.  I saw the '90
team win the NAC and go to the NCAA's.  I saw BU B-Ball teams win over 20 games
and beat teams such as Maryland while playing tough teams such as Michigan.

I, however, was one of very few to see BU's basketball team do well.  No one
cared.

Although I still attend BU B-ball games, I still have little-to-no respect for
the fans.  I'll never forget the feeling of having Brian Brewer (Ogre before
me) and myself trying together to get the crowd going in a one-point game with
under 5 minutes left while the entire crowd just looked at us like, "Who the
hell are they and why are they making noise while we're trying to watch the
game?"  FRUSTRATION!!!

I've watched the crowd sit in silence while someone fights, claws, and scrapes
for a rebound in a tied game, getting the key rebound and making the outlet.
I've also watched the same crowd the very next game go berzerk in a 20-point
blow-out when someone slam-dunks the ball.

I have no respect for the BU basketball crowd.

The only time a big crowd shows up for BU B-Ball is when they play someone
real, like Duke, Michigan, etc.

The difference in play is that the BU B-Ball team is proud when they hang-in
there against a Final Four team while the BU Hockey team IS a Final Four team.

The difference in the crowds is even more overwhelming, in both spirit and
understanding of the game.

The BU B-Ball team can't even half-fill Walter Brown Arena (note the move of
their games upstairs to a gym the equivalent of a high school court), how
would they ever put 6,000-8,000 people in an arena.  No.

The new arena will be built for hockey.  Basketball may use it if they bring
in a real team some time, but not in the near future.

I love both the basketball and hockey teams, but I have no respect for the
B-Ball crowds.

Just the humble bablings of a crazed hockey fan and a frustrated basketball fan

Tony  BU'92'93
Former Ogre
Season-ticket holder for both hockey and basketball.