From:
"Luiz F. Valente" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Luiz F. Valente
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 1994 13:48:00 EDT
Regarding the increase in the number of games ECAC schools will be
allowed to play next year, Greg Berge posted the following:

>The current limits are 27 games for Ivies
>(rumored to be going up to 28; oh boy...) and 30
>for Non-Ivies; increasing the games to 32 would
>thus increase to the max number allowed by the
>NC$$, I believe.
>
>Hopefully this will pass, and hopefully (but not to
>be expected) the Ivies will see the light when
>*everybody* else is at 32 and get there
>themselves.  I don't know exactly who'd we play,
>though - it seems that the other leagues' large
>conference schedules leave very few unclaimed
>NC dates.  I'd love to have Cornell play at least
>one game per year against traditional rivals at
>BU, BC, Northeastern, and Providence, and
>maybe play a WCHA opponent more than once
>per decade...

I think that RPI and the other non-Ivies in the ECAC should be allowed
to play the NC$$ maximum number of 32 games if they so desire.
I hope, however, that most schools will not take this option.
In my opinion, 32 games are too many. As far as the Ivies go,
I'd like to see a maximum of 27 regular season games plus 1 pre-season
exhibition game. A few months ago Brown coach Bob Gaudet indicated to me
that he didn't want to play too many more games. And several Brown
parents have told me that they worry that their sons are already
missing far too much class time with the present schedule. (Playoffs
this year added five games to Brown's schedule and seven to Harvard's.)

Luiz F. Valente