From:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Mar 1994 23:20:56 -0500
Ok, ok. So Clarkson didn't make it. No big shock there. I guess the
surprise team, in my mind, was Northeastern.

I was fairly surprised that Northeastern got in over St. Cloud but
I was shocked that Colorado College didn't make it.

It seemed to me that the committee ranked postseason play a little
higher than perhaps they should have. I mean, CC loses in the first
round (1-2 vs Mich Tech) and bam! they're out. St. Cloud has a wonderful
run in the postseason after a very successful regular season but,
because they don't score first in overtime, they're denied a bid.
LSSU's loss to Michigan probably dropped them from a #1 seed to
#4 (I suspect they'd have gotten a #1 seed, or a #2 at the worst,
had they won).

The star of the committee has to be the Bowling Green Athletic Director.
For him to convince the committee that both Western Mich AND Michigan
St deserved to go over BOTH St Cloud and Colorado College... he deserves
a pat on the back from the WMU and MSU camps. Certainly BU's Jack Parker
deserves laudits from Northeastern-land as well; I was sure they'd take
7 teams from the west instead of the 6-6 split.

Although they don't use it, here are the schedule strength and performance
rankings based on Keith's TCHCR

Colorado Coll   #11 sched, #7 performance, #5 overall
St Cloud        #15 sched, #9 performance, #8 overall
Western Mich    #10 sched, #26 performance, #12 overall
Mich St         #13 sched, #24 performance, #13 overall
Northeastern    #17 sched, #18 performance, #14 overall

I suppose if you look at the RPI index, Northeastern 85983487
was #8
while CC was #13 and St Cloud was #14, though.

Bri Farenell                                     Clarkson '95
[log in to unmask]                 Glens Falls High '91
AHL and NCAA contact for rec.sport.hockey        Go Erin Whitten (GFH '89)!
Adirondack Red Wings, AHL Calder Cup Champs: '81  '86  '89  '92
Bri's (revised) Hoops Final Four picks: Arizona, Florida, Michigan and Duke
        "It's a great day for hockey."  ---Bob Johnson