From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 1994 03:11:48 -0500

> Just a couple of thoughts as a BU fan:
>
> 1)  Why was Roloson first and Herlofsky second?  Herlofsky has a much superior
> GAA than Roloson has (2.46 vs. 2.83).  Is it because Roloson has played more
> games?

As a fellow BU fan, but also a hockey fan in general, I will defend these
decisions.  I do this not as devil's advocate, but because I can see the first,
and emphaticly agree with the latter.

First of all, I do not mean to insult the Lowell defense (I do NOT want to woof
the night before we play them), but Herlofsky has a much better (and deeper)
defensive corp in front of him than Roloson.  Also, Herlofsky spent part of the
season injured and the rest in a rotation while Rolo had to play "iron-man"
between the pipes for lowell.  There was not the kind of pressure on Herlofsky
as there was on Rolo.  If Lowell was going badly, Rolo had to be there.  If
Derek was going badly, McKersie was right there.

BU has the best goalie *tandem* in the country, but not the best *individual*
goalie.

> 2)   How could Mike Pomichter, HE's scoring leader, be totally omitted from
> the list?

OK, well, I will assume you were not on the list last year for my discussion of
Cal Ingraham last year.  Cal led the nation in goals, yet did not make first-
team Hockey East.  Personally, I fully agreed.  2 things:

#1 : Hockey is not just about scoring goals.  Overall play is what counts.
To compare Pomichter to Joubert (also on BU), I would ask the following
questions:  "Who wins face-offs with a regularity not commonly found at BU?"
"Who plays better defense?" "Who consistently plays with great intelligence and
positional soundness?"  "Who is the player out there who sets up Pomichter for
easy goals that make Pomichter look good?"  Most importantly, "If you had to
chose, who would you rather have on your team???"

I think Jacques Joubert wins.

#2 : With these types of awards, MANY players *deserve* to win, but only a
certian number CAN win them.  There can be only one "player-of-the-year."
There may be 5 players deserving of it one year, and none the next, but on
both years, one player wins it.  Pomichter deserves to be there on that list.
But that it not the question.  The question is, "Is Pomichter the player you
would want instead of any of those players there?"  The answer, according to
the voters, is no.  Pomichter is the scoring leader, and no one can take that
away, but he did not earn All-Hockey East.  He'll live... trust me.  It's a
numbers thing and he knows it.

> Brian Gentry
> BU '95

Tony  BU'92'93