From:
Adam Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 1994 17:33:28 -0500
+ "Alexander F. Relyea" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
+
+   What are the possibilities of the NC$$ allowing Maine to play in the
+ tournament (ie an at-large bearth)?  It seems to me that they don't base
+ invitations strictly on winning percentage, and from a purely financial
+ standpoint it makes sense to have a big draw like Maine in the tournament.
+ Is this likely?
+
+        Alex Relyea

I would have to strongly disagree with that statement.  I haven't seen
any evidence that anything other than how a team has performed during
the course of a season has been used when deciding teams that are
chosen for the Div I hockey playoffs.

If you've been on hockey-l for more than this season, you might have
seen that the power ratings systems, based on strength of schedule,
performance and a number of other facters have given almost the same
result as the actual selections.  [Usually, we don't know the exact
criteria until after the selections have been made.]

After all, if size of crowd were used to determine the playoffs, we
might as well all go home and award the crown to Wisconsin every year.
[Big big smiley --> :-) :-) :-)]

Currently, Maine is anywhere from 5th to 15th on the various rankings.
Since I think that the method used by the selection commitee is most
similar to the one by Keith out of Bowling Green, Maine might not even
be getting an at large bid even if they didn't have the violations.
That particular ranking lists them at 15th, with four other Hockey
East teams (BU, UMass-Lowell, Northeastern, and UNH) ranked above
them.  I'm not sure that HE will be getting four teams this year, and
certainly not five.  It just wouldn't be fair to the teams in the
other leagues.

BTW, these are all my own opinions... if they happen to resemble
anything like fact, that is pure luck. :)

adam
BU '89