From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 1994 12:35:57 EST
I'm a little confused about the NC$$ ruling in the Maine/Tardif case, which
I guess is to be expected, but...

From the Globe article Sid posted:

>MAINE MUST FORFEIT 21, NC$$ RULES
>by Allen Lessels
>Globe Staff
>
>        The University of Maine hockey team split in NC$$ decisions
>announced at Orono last night.
>
>        For the second time this season, Maine was ordered to forfeit games--
>this time 21 of them for the use of an ineligible player.
>
>[...]
>
>        On with the tournament, said Maine coach Shawn Walsh, whose team
>drops to 5-26-1 overall, 2-19-1 in the league.
>
>[...]
>
>        Tardif was ineligible for games between Nov. 22 and Dec. 18 and
>Feb. 4-20.

If that last sentence is correct, it doesn't jive with the numbers given
above.  From 11/22 - 12/18 and from 2/4 - 2/20, Maine played a total of 14
games, not 21:

11/26     Dexter Shoe Classic vs. Illinois-Chicago  (W, 6-4)
11/27     Dexter Shoe Classic vs. RPI  (L, 4-5)
12/3      at Northeastern  (L, 2-6)
12/4      at Northeastern  (W, 6-3)
12/10     at Portland vs. New Hampshire  (L, 3-7)
12/12     Mass Lowell  (L, 0-5)
12/17     Ferris State  (W, 5-3)
12/18     Ferris State  (L, 3-5)

2/4       New Hampshire  (W, 7-4)
2/5       New Hampshire  (W, 5-2)
2/12      at Mass Lowell  (T, 4-4)
2/13      at Mass Lowell  (T, 4-4)
2/19      at Boston University  (T, 0-0)
2/20      at Boston University  (L, 5-1)

My guess is that the starting date given above is wrong and that Tardif was
actually ineligible starting October 22 (the beginning of the season),
rather than November 22.  That would add seven more games, bringing the
total to 21 --  the three Providence games (which were Hockey East forfeits,
not NC$$), and the next four:

11/12     at Merrimack  (W, 5-2)
11/13     at Merrimack  (W, 6-3)
11/19     Boston University  (L, 5-3)
11/20     Boston University  (W, 5-1)

Adding these forfeits would make Maine's current record 5-26-1, 2-19-1 in
HE, as stated above.
--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick                        |  Send your HOCKEY-L poll responses to:
Cornell '86 and '94 (.5)            |  [log in to unmask]
LET'S GO RED!!
Reporter:    "What do you think of the team's execution?"
John McKay:  "I'm in favor of it."
-- an exchange that occurred while McKay was coaching the 0-14 Tampa Bay
   Buccaneers in 1976