From:
Kirk Eisenbeis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 01:42:24 -0500
I have seen the interlocking ND in UND photos from the '20s or '30s.
In the instance that I saw, instead of the letters being blended
together, the N lines actually weave over and under the D lines in an
Escher-like impossibility.  When an opposing fan was once too annoying
about "using Notre Dame's logo," I claimed that UND has used it longer
(that was fun), but I really don't know.

My anicdote doesn't answer your questions; I've wondered the same
thing.  In the past, I had tried in vain to do some Web searching to
find ND logo history from either school.

In the off-season, I'll ask around at UND and let the list know what I
come up with.

Kirk Eisenbeis

--
Want a Google Mail beta account?  I love mine--ask me for an invite. -KE