Sender:
Date:
Sat, 6 Aug 2005 10:51:33 -0700
7bit
From:
"Eric J. Burton" <[log in to unmask]>
I don't know whether the NCAA has handled it the "best" possible way,
but I think they've handled it reasonably. They suggested that schools
take the lead and left it to them for a couple years to take the step.
Now they're saying some schools' failures reflect unfavorably on the
whole academic world and college sports and the NCAA is stepping up to
apply pressure. I think the best outcome would be if that forces a
process in which Seminoles and Sioux supporters are allowed to present
their case to the NCAA, argue for why their use is a bona fide
exception, and have the NCAA give valid credit if that's due. I'm
disappointed to read that FSU's initial action will be to head to the
courts. They could save that as a later resort.

I think going to the courts is the American way, what the first words out of
people mouth. I will sue. I would be willing to bet by the time this is
over the NCAA will back off. I just can't see the NCAA having the teeth to
enforce this rule. I think you could have a back lash against this
organization.