Sender:
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 19:55:34 -0700
8bit
From:
Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]>
I’m of two minds on this issue.  First, I think that the NCAA’s statement is disingenuous.   They
use the term “hostile and abusive racial/ethnic/national origin mascots” but to me, it’s fairly
clear from the follow-up statements that “hostile or abusive” is meaningless.  The list that’s
published with the announcements includes “Savages” and “Redmen,” a couple of nicknames that I
personally object to (though I don’t think “hostile or abusive” are the right words to describe
them).  But the list also includes “Choctaws” and “Seminoles,” names that are not inherently
hostile or abusive.  Apparently, the NCAA is taking the position that any reference to Native
Americans as a mascot is inherently hostile or abusive.   If that’s what they meant, why don’t
they say it?

Also, they don’t specify “racial/ethnic/national origin” but it’s apparent that the only
racial/ethnic/national origin they care about is Native American.  If that’s the case, why not say
so?  I can see no difference between “Fighting Irish” and “Fighting Sioux.”

On the other hand, I think that there is a germ of legitimacy to the NCAA’s position.  I’m very
surprised that there is still a nickname like “Savages” that has historically been used as a
highly derisive term, and “Redmen” that has a clear racial connotation.  And, while I realize that
they aren’t NCAA issues, I’m bothered that there is a football team in the Nation’s Capital called
the “Redskins” and that Major League Baseball has a team that uses a caricature of a Native
American as its logo.

My personal view is that nicknames that are on their face neutral are OK, but pejorative or
mocking nicknames or logos aren’t.  So I would strongly disagree with the NCAA on “Chocktaws” and
“Seminoles.”  I think “Indians” and terms that add “Fighting” are at least discussable, but I’d
also disagree with the NCAA’s position.  I think that “Savages” and “Redmen,” the “Redskins” of
the NFL and the Cleveland Major League Baseball team’s Chief Wahoo caricature have no place in
modern American society.