Sender:
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 22:57:18 -0400
7bit
From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Nathan Hampton wrote:

>If they are cheating, I would like to know what rule they are breaking.
>Goalie equipment has been measured for years and I know of no goalie who has
>been suspended, fined, or otherwise punished for breaking equipment-size
>rules in the NHL.

Yup, regardless of  whether, in fact, there are college hockey goalies
wearing oversize gear (and I have no idea whether that's none or all),
moralizing about whether it's a corrupt practice is a silly exercise.
If any moralizing is warranted, it's better directed at those who have
the responsibity for enforcing the rules so the goalie with moral
conviction wouldn't be forced to put his team at a disadvantage.

It reminds me of the time, a couple decades back, when some idiot in
Congress was claiming it was up to the Big Three to initiate the effort
to raise auto safety standards.  Can you imagine a Chairman of the Board
or CEO telling his shareholders that he's going to take the initiative
to unilaterally reduce sales for their company by raising the costs of
their cars to consumers for things the consumers aren't interested in
paying more for?  The other two auto companies would pay him whatever it
takes to get him to do that.  (and now the NCAA is awarding a Frozen
Four tournament to the town where that Congressman worked)

If the practice is as widespread as suggested, the enforcement hasn't
been there.  If the enforcement hasn't been there, what could possibly
make sense about expecting a college goalie to stand on one end of the
ice and say, "I don't care that we'll lose this game because the guy on
the other end can wear whatever size he wants. I'm going to stand up for
my convictions that people who cheat should have an advantage.  I'll
help the other team beat my guys."  That part sounds lame to me.

Bob Griebel