Sender:
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:58:19 -0400
7BIT
From:
Doug Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
The lines idea seems a little similar to what the NASL (the defunct soccer
league that brought Pele to the U.S.)  They changed the off-side line from
being the center line to being at about the 35 yard line.  Instead of the
defense coming up to the center line and compressing the field, the
offense could force the defense to spread out back into their own zone,
opening up the field to more passing.

The other idea the NASL had was to give points beyond wins and ties.
They gave points to either team for goals scored up to three.  This
encouraged continued offense on both teams part, something that soccer
currently sorely lacks and sometimes the NHL lacks [obligatory hockey
content].

Doug Peterson