Sender:
From:
Arthur Parks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:11:43 -0400
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE   June 19, 2002
Contact: Arthur Parks (401) 865-2759

MATT MANNINA TO ATTEND PROVIDENCE COLLEGE
MANNINA WILL BE THE EIGHTH NEW PLAYER ON THE 2002-03 FRIAR HOCKEY ROSTER

        PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Providence College hockey coach Paul Pooley today
announced that student-athlete Matt Mannina (Schaumburg, Ill.) has signed a
national letter of intent to attend Providence College beginning in
September 2002.  Mannina will join Jason Bloomingburg (Canton, Mich.),
Torry Gajda (Westfield, Mass.),  Bobby Goepfert (Kings Park, N.Y.), Bryan
Horan (Farmington, Conn.), Luke Irwin (Burnsville, Minn.),  Nate Meyers
(Maple Glen, Pa.) and James Pemberton (Cumberland, R.I.) for a total of
eight new players on the 2002-03 hockey roster.
        Mannina, a 5-foot-10-inch, 175-pound defenseman, played  for the Rochester
Mustangs of the United States Hockey League in 2001-02.  In 51 games with
the Mustangs, he registered seven goals and 27 assists for 34 points last
season and earned the squad's Top Defenseman honor.  Mannina finished in
the top five scoring among all defenseman in the USHL in 2001-02.  In his
first season of junior hockey, he played for the Chicago Freeze of the
North American Hockey League in 2000-01.  Mannina is the son of Elmer and
Mary Mannina.  He is a 2001 graduate of James B. Conant High School.
        "Matt Mannina is a very skilled defenseman with offensive ability," Pooley
said.  "He has a good hockey sense and excels at carrying the puck up the
ice.  We are excited to have Matt joining our team in 2002-03."

2002-03 PROVIDENCE COLLEGE HOCKEY FRESHMAN CLASS
Jason Bloomingburg      LW      6-0     195     Canton, Mich./Texas Tornado (NAHL)
Torry Gajda     LW      5-9     185     Westfield, Mass./New England Coyotes (EJHL)
Bobby Goepfert  G       5-10    170     Kings Park, N.Y./Cedar Rapids Roughriders (USHL)
Bryan Horan     RW/C    6-1     185     Farmington, Conn./New England Coyotes (EJHL)
Luke Irwin      D       6-2     215     Burnsville, Minn./Des Moines Buccaneers (USHL)
Matt Mannina    D       5-10    175     Schaumburg, Ill./Rochester Mustangs (USHL)
Nate Meyers     LW/RW   6-0     210     Maple Glen, Pa./Cedar Rapids Roughriders (USHL)
James Pemberton D       6-4     215     Cumberland, R.I./New England Coyotes (EJHL)

-end-