Sender:
From:
Joe LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 17:02:36 -0500
I think everybody in his/her right mind agrees that the tournament has to
expand to 16 teams (or back down to 8--yecch!) to eliminate the byes.

To put a Thurs-Fri-Sat (or Fri-Sat-Sun) invites a "HockeyFest" type
tournament.  While it worked well (for a while) for the ECAC & HEA (1991 was
a great 'Fest), I wonder if it would work for the NCAA's?

Wouldn't it be better to have 4 regional sites??  Campus sites won't work,
but if you put one each, say in Worcester/Albany, New Haven/Hartford (or
Trenton), Michigan, and somewhere west of the Mississippi, you have 4
somewhat geographically dispersed regions that can play Thurs & Sat or Fri &
Sun. (Note:  If it was Worcester & Hartford I wonder how many folks would be
zooming up & down the highways to catch all 6 games)

We can then expand the TV opportunities (memo to NCAA --> put the Women's
finals in the "dead" week between the Men's regionals and finals.  Better
play them on Fri & Sun) for 4 days of college hockey.

I am encouraged that the NCAA has taken notice of the "day after" problem.
As a short-term fix, can they put an off day between the regional dates??

Joe

PS  Congrats to Minnesota-Duluth on capturing the Women's Division 1 crown.
I saw the game on TV and, yes, it was slower than a men's game, but it was
kind of fun to watch.  They can pass, shoot & skate.  I just wish there were
more fannies in the seats.