Sender:
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 16:04:55 -0500
7bit
From:
Eric Burton <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
To: "Satow, Clay" <[log in to unmask]>

> I'd oppose expanding to 14, if it just meant that the two slots went to
> autobids from the MAAC and CHA.  All that would do would make the byes
more
> controversial, but would not allow in any arguably deserving teams that
> didn't make it under the field of 12.
>
> I think that the NCAA should either allow a larger ratio for sports with
> fewer sponsoring institutions or forget the autobids and just go for the
> best teams.

    This is going to open a can of worms, because you are going to have
teams from the MACC and the CHA getting into the tourney would not if they
were in the other leagues and you are also are going have teams staying home
that would have been in the tourney otherwise if it wasn't for the auto
tourney bid for winning the league title, which will bring you back to the
argument some had last year does QU deserved to be in the tourney over a
Denver or OSU or a team like RPI. So I believe they are going to have to
expand to the 16 team tourney.