Sender:
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 08:10:32 -0700
Between the "coverage" of the Mariucci on MSC and what's on USCHO, about
the only thing I've been able to determine is that BU won 2-1.

Not that I'd expect MSC to report anything on the game; after all, the
Gophers lost so MSC won't bother broadcasting the championship game. Talk
about a homer.

And over on USCHO, not even a box score? What gives? Could it be the USCHO
folk are bitter over the fact that the Terriers (an EASTERN) team are
through to the finals, a minor feat that not one of the writers predicted?

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at the lack of respect that USCHO --
or much of this list -- can give to many Eastern teams, with BU being a
perfect example this year. Here's a team that has now clawed its way back
to .500, winning 6 in a row. Everyone was pretty quick to dismiss the
Terriers this year, even Jack Parker.

I've read posts from folks on the list who say they've "given up" on the
Terriers this year. Why? It's a strong organization with a fantastic
history, and one of the greatest college coaches in history. That the
Terriers are struggling this year simply endears me more to their program.

EVERY game this year has become an exciting one, thanks to their struggles.
A BU win has become something to look forward to and exalt in -- not
something to expect. No opponent is either safe to walk over, nor safe from BU.

And now BU and Princeton will meet for the second time this season (when
was the last time this happened?) in the Mariucci championship. Two Eastern
teams in a Western tournament.

Princeton has a MAJOR bone to pick with the Terriers. The Tigers, who most
in the preseason felt were one of the strongest teams in the country, were
embarassed at home by the Terriers in their first match of the season. That
the Terriers won 9-1 was all the sweeter for BU, as it was their first win
of the season in 5 tries.

And of course, there is a long, long history between the two teams both on
the ice and behind the bench.

None of these facts will be forgotten by the players or the coaches in the
championship match tonight. For Princeton it's a chance for redemption
against the Terriers, one of only two teams to beat them this year. For the
Terriers, it's an opportunity to win what might be their only championship
of the year -- not to mention, their chance to rise above .500 and
steamroll through January into the Beanpot.

For you BU fans out there, just remind yourself of these famous words by
Jack Parker, restated every year:

"Nothing matters until the Beanpot. That's when our season STARTS."

greenie

Ahhh, wait. ESPN.com has coverage of the OSU-BU game:

"Scott Perry made the game-winning goal at 4:16 of the second period as
Boston U. beat Ohio State 2-1 in the opener Sunday."

Short, but better than any other outlets.