Sender:
From:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 23:52:12 -0500
In the battle of the WCHA hopefuls, the battle of the Indians turned
Mavericks(both teams were nicknamed the Indians til the 70's when they both
changed to Mavericks), the battle of Div II NCC schools in every sport but
hockey, a start of a future rivalry, the good Mavs turned in a brilliant
second period over the bad Mavs as Nebraska-Omaha defeats Mankato St. by a
final of 7-4 up in Mankato. The first period was a shootout, with UNO
drawing first and last blood of the period that went to intermission in a
3-3 tie. UNO then broke out in the second scoring 3 goals to break the game
open at 6-3. Both teams added goals in the third, and the final was 7-4 in
favor of the 1st year Mavs.

This was Mankato St.'s first loss to a Div I independant.

UNO goaltender Jason Mitchell bounced back from a shaky first to close the
door for most of the rest of the game.

The Mavs improve to 8-16-0 in Div I play and 9-17-1 overall. Mankato St.
falls to 12-13-4 in Div I play and 13-13-4 on the year.

UNO fan-favorite Andrew Tortorella came off a long suspension to get a
game-tying goal late in the first period in his first game back.

These teams meet again tomorrow night, same time, same place, same Mav channel.

These two teams will also meet again at the begining of March in "The
Bullpen" that is the Omaha Civic Auditorium to round out UNO's inaugral season.

Of note, UNO played 3 *probable* NCAA Tournament teams this year, in
Wisconsin, New Hampshire, and St. Cloud St.

Ben F.
U!N!O! U!N!O!