Sender:
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 08:08:37 -0600
7bit
From:
There are a number of things to comment on here; I'll save the biggest
for last.

First, about Michigan fans not showing up on Saturday.  This
distinguishes them not at all from anyone else.  Watching semi-final
losers unload tickets is a yearly ritual.  If the game isn't close,
scalpers flock to their section during the third period.  This has
happened at every tournament I've been to.  At the West Regional, there
were a lot of Spartan fans that were missing on Sunday.  Golly, Greenie,
there were even BU fans in Cincinnati that didn't come back for the
final.  Not as many, but there weren't as many at the semi, either.

Second, Red Berenson not sticking around for the introduction of the
50th anniversary team.  Part of my perception about this is undoubtedly
colored by the fact that, while the whole thing was a fine idea, the
execution was poor (no one from the early to mid-1970s?).  So, it wasn't
that big a deal to me.  More importantly, one should note that he wasn't
the only one who didn't show up.  Ken Dryden comes to mind as an
example.  Obviously, each of the people who weren't there thought they
had something more important to do.  To single Berenson out because we
know what that reason is strikes me as unfair.  Personally, I think its
at least debatable in his case.

As to the comment someone made about him being a poor choice, remember
that the criteria for selection to the team were vague beyond belief.
If the decision was supposed to be based only on tournament play, he
probably wasn't a good choice.  But no where in any of the description
of the process was this stated.

Third, the obnoxiousness of the Michigan fans.  I admit that I find them
kind of tiresome.  I grew up in Ann Arbor and have long been of the
opinion that Michigan people aren't as smart and clever as they think
they are.  That opinion goes well beyond the hockey fans.  Still, some
of the comments on the list lately have gone a bit overboard.
Personally, I've never found any fans as vicious as those in Madison
(though after dealing with some of Bucky's faithful in Milwaukee, I'm
prepared to broaden that to the whole state).  As to being accosted in
the hallways, all I can say is that this hasn't happened to me.  I spent
a whole weekend in Grand Rapids wearing Minnesota and wasn't hassled
once (other than Al Renfrew telling me that the Gophers didn't play
well, which was true).  Maybe some of them are sore losers, but what's
been described of them here is a side of them I've never seen.  Michigan
football fans tend to just destroy their own coach.

Lastly, the "best team" argument.  On one level, I agree with John
Edwards.  I've always thought that everybody places too much emphasis on
the playoffs in their overall thoughts; I'm unwilling to change my mind
on who is the best team based on one game.  The regular season ought to
mean something and, taken as a six-month process, it's hard to argue
that Michigan wasn't the best team.

That stated, Brendan Morrison's comment was inappropriate in the setting
in which it was uttered.  Accepting the trophy as the best player in the
nation is a moment to be gracious in all things.  If he was going to
comment on the previous night at all, he should have just offered Chris
Drury the opportunity to trade places.

But come on, people.  Don't some of you think you're overreacting just a
little?  The statement obviously wasn't aimed at BU; he was looking
directly at his own teammates when he said it.  So stop being personally
insulted.  And stop making wide, sweeping generalizations about his
character based on one incident.  Some of those complaining the loudest
have, on ocaasion, made comments that were just as ridiculous and
obnoxious.  I sure as hell have.

While it doesn't mitigate the comment, there is a bit of explanatory
background.  I was at the Hilton Thursday night as the Michigan players
trickled back into the hotel.  The opted to forego the bus and walk back
in ones and twos.  I have never, barring a major tragedy involving loss
of life, seen a group of people that were more emotionally devatated.
At least one could barely make it up the stairs without leaning on a
teammates shoulders.  Having watched this, I was surprised that they had
their game faces back on as much as they did by Friday afternoon.  This
was what Morrison was reacting to.  Was it poor judgement?  Yes. But
understandable, I think.

J. Michael Neal