Sender:
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 2021 15:56:36 +0000
base64
From:
Sonya Durney <[log in to unmask]>
FYI

-----Original Message-----
From: Bangor Daily News <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Fri, Feb 12, 2021 11:38 am
Subject: We're taking on the big questions about broadband in Maine

First event Feb 18: What's next after the Broadband Bond?
[https://mcusercontent.com/a629a44de37af801f63b7384a/_compresseds/209a20d7-3ef8-4bd3-b66f-a0c0e0310ef4.jpg]
Broadband access is essential to Maine.

Today, it’s not easy to get high speed internet in many of our rural communities, which makes learning and working from home harder. Broadband connectivity helps Maine’s economy by developing a strong workforce, encouraging innovation, attracting new residents and businesses. It also supports our students and seniors who are spending more time at home.
Join us for this four-part virtual event series<https://bangordailynews.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a629a44de37af801f63b7384a&id=46af8fe404&e=2cc3337354> as we bring together policy makers, business leaders and educators who are charting the path forward for improving quality, cost and availability of high speed internet in Maine. Topic experts will help us learn something new and highlight where we are as a state when it comes to broadband connectivity — and where we could be in the future. Hosted by Bangor Daily News reporters and editors, sessions will include ample time for audience questions and discussion.

Thursday, Feb. 18 at 5 p.m.
Broadband Bond — What’s Next?
We passed a bond in July to borrow $15 million to invest in high speed internet infrastructure, aka broadband. It’s the first ever bond investment of its kind in Maine. So…what’s next?
Guest speakers: Nick Battista, chair of ConnectME; Kendra Jo Grindle, senior community development officer at Island Institute; Japhet Els, director of outreach at AARP; and Charlie Woodworth, executive director of the Greater Franklin Development Council.

Register here<https://bangordailynews.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a629a44de37af801f63b7384a&id=365afd2e2b&e=2cc3337354>.

Wednesday, Feb. 24 at 5 p.m.
Data Privacy, Security & Accessibility
How can you keep your data safe? What are the regulations around data privacy within the state? How can you access affordable internet and technology and who is there to help you?
Guest speakers: Lori Sussman from the Department of Technology at the University of Southern Maine and Kerem Durdag, COO of GWI.
Register here<https://bangordailynews.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a629a44de37af801f63b7384a&id=19057b40f2&e=2cc3337354>.

Wednesday, March 10 at 5 p.m.
The Case for Connectivity — Broadband’s Impact on Education in Maine
What are schools, colleges and communities dealing with when it comes to making sure their students are connected online? What are the biggest issues and challenges across the state?

Guest speakers: Susan Corbett, Director of the National Digital Equity Center; Jeff Letourneau, Executive Director of NetworkMaine at University of Maine; and Beth Lambert, Policy Director at the Maine Department of Education.
Register here.<https://bangordailynews.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a629a44de37af801f63b7384a&id=a45a40927b&e=2cc3337354>

Thursday, April 22 at 5 p.m.
Get Connected — What Are the Connectivity Options Available for Mainers?
The current broadband bond will not be able to meet the needs for all Mainers. What are the connectivity options available for those in need?
Guest speakers: Peggy Schaffer, executive director of ConnectME. Additional speakers to be announced.
Register here<https://bangordailynews.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a629a44de37af801f63b7384a&id=bd468287d4&e=2cc3337354>.

Interested in supporting this series through a business sponsorship? Please reach out to Elissa Young at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.
In case you missed it
\uD83D\uDC42 Old crime stories in search results can do more harm than good. So we're making a change.<https://bangordailynews.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a629a44de37af801f63b7384a&id=05f900495a&e=2cc3337354> In January the BDN joined a small handful of newsrooms in adopting a new approach to old crime stories. We now will review requests to remove outdated, minor crime stories from Google in hopes of helping people move on with their lives after making mistakes.

\uD83D\uDE09 What do cheesecloth, a heavy-duty pulley and a jar of black pepper have in common? If you get picked in Maine's moose lottery, open this week<https://bangordailynews.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a629a44de37af801f63b7384a&id=7110afd41b&e=2cc3337354>, you'll need them all.

\uD83D\uDC42 “I don’t think hearing interpreters are bad people. I think they really, really do not realize how unintelligible they are.” Betty Colonomos, on American Sign Language interpreter Regan Thibodeau's effort to improve the quality of ASL interpretation at White House press briefings<https://bangordailynews.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a629a44de37af801f63b7384a&id=6686435025&e=2cc3337354>.

❤️ "We rally together, and we know each other well up here." -- Joy Barresi Saucier, on why she thinks Aroostook County is leading the state in COVID-19 vaccinations<https://bangordailynews.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a629a44de37af801f63b7384a&id=87bf765393&e=2cc3337354>.
[https://mcusercontent.com/a629a44de37af801f63b7384a/images/5922f4f9-cf96-492c-a516-4de776c09907.png]

Need help or have questions? Just reply to this email.
Copyright © 2021 bangordailynews, All rights reserved.
You are a person or organization who cares about climate change in Maine.

Our mailing address is:
bangordailynews
1 Merchants Plz
Bangor, ME 04401-8302

Add us to your address book<https://bangordailynews.us1.list-manage.com/vcard?u=a629a44de37af801f63b7384a&id=88747941f8>

You can update your preferences<https://bangordailynews.us1.list-manage.com/profile?u=a629a44de37af801f63b7384a&id=88747941f8&e=2cc3337354&c=6b2dbe0c2d> or unsubscribe from this list<https://bangordailynews.us1.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=a629a44de37af801f63b7384a&id=88747941f8&e=2cc3337354&c=6b2dbe0c2d>.