From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 1994 11:48:09 EST
>Likewise, when I have lived in the two principal
>eastern college hockey media centers, Boston and
>Albany, coverage of the ECAC and HE has been
>excellent, but coverage of the CCHA, WCHA, and
>Indies has been non-existent.  The Boston Globe
>and Herald, respectively our local rag and bloid,
>don't even profile NC opponents of Boston area
>teams.  And I doubt anybody at the Albany
>Times Union can pronounce Sault Ste. Marie, let
>alone cover LSSU.

Wow!  That's got to be the first time that Albany has ever been labelled a
"college hockey media center"!  We must be moving up in the world.  In fact the
T-U now has a sportswriter who can rival Boston's when it comes to bad mouthing
the local teams--our own Laura Vecsey.  Actually I would bet that Bob Croce
could pronounce "Soo Saint Marie", but he probably isn't allowed to.  The
managing editor seems to be intent on cutting the coverage of college hockey to
permit more space for basketball, specifically Siena basketball.  I think
that's the reason the T-U gave up its hockey poll this year.

Scores have always been an adventure.  We had a streak of 4 or 5 weekends with
scores from college hockey, sometimes even including the WCHA.  Then this past
Sunday we got maybe 4: RPI, Union, Middlebury and St. Anselm.  And I was dying
to find out if Northern Michigan would pull out a split!  God help us if the
Knick loses out on the ECAC and NCAA tournaments--the coverage would probably
disappear entirely.
                    _
            "NYS   // Hockey"
        Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris
          Go RPI //      Albany, NY-Media Center for NCAA Hockey
         (______/