From:
Matt Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 1994 15:05:44 -0600
On Jan 18,  3:37pm, Walter Olson wrote:
> Subject: Re: Wisconsin
>For those of the readers who seemed confused about the NC$$ consideration
>of the Wisconsin after game practice, please understand that I am not
>stating that the NC$$ necessarily deems what Wisconsin did after the
>St. Cloud game illegal.
>
>I don't believe in taking a scalpel to hairs: While NC$$ does not consider
>it a practice unless the coach is present (I need to see the exact
>rule book wording,) it  sure seems to me that if the team captain
>runs the practice, it is a practice, none the less.
>
>The reason for not practicing after a game is to avoid "punishment tours"
>for the players. This is a good rule. Mass punishment went out with
>World War II, I hope (although I occassionaly witnessed it during the
>the years I served in the Army.) When a team captain runs a team
>practice, which I doubt any player could forego,  after a losing game,
>particularly one where the loss is 6-1, the purpose is probably
>punishment whatever name you call the rose by. MY WAY of thinking is that
>this is in fact illegal regardless of whether or not one wants to
>quibble about coaches present or absent.
>
>Walt Olson
>-- End of excerpt from Walter Olson

I think we should distinguish between what is "in fact illegal" and what
should be illegal.  What is "in fact illegal" depends upon the rules book
and the rules committee.  Whether or not one thinks that something should
be illegal does not affect the NC$$ ruling.  If your way of thinking is
that something *is* illegal because you think it *should be*, regardless
of the rules book, then there may be a problem holding a rational
discussion.  If your way of thinking is that something that may or may not
be illegal *should be* illegal, then we can discuss whether a change to
the rules may be necessary.

My opinion is that there should be some restrictions on "Captain's
practices" and after game activity.  My opinion has no bearing on what is
currently in the rules, just on what I would like to see there.  If you do
find something in the rules that prohibits after-game practices without
coaches, then it is "in fact illegal" and should be punished.  If you do
not find any such prohibition, it should be added to the rules in some
fashion.

--
Matt Keller     [log in to unmask]