From:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 1993 19:53:09 -0500
Wisconsin efficiently beat MTU 5-3 Saturday night.

What a difference a night makes. After shutting out Wisconsin the
night before, the MTU team was flat for the first period and a half.
 Although MTU scored first, it was clear that UWM was controlling
 the game. The first two UWM goals occurred on line changes as
 MTU took a laid back attitude to protecting the ice. The remaining
 goals were excellent UWM plays as the MTU team failed to
 display coverage discipline. On one scoring play, a lone UWM
 player was at the MTU blue line waiting a pass which he then
 skated into zone and drilled the net. Later, UWM players were
able to skate unguarded in front of the MTU crease. At times, MTU
during 5 on 5 appeared to play as though they were a man down.

It wasnUt until the third period that MTU finally started to play
hockey. Their best hockey was played after the goalie was pulled
with 4:08 remaining.

I am guessing as the shot count: I think that UWM had 31 shots on
goal to MTUUs 15. This indicates the level of play.

I would argue that MTU is a very young team that has a lot of talent
but needs to learn discipline. Friday night, they showed the skill
and quality of play that they are capable of and they won. Saturday
they were still basking in the glory of Friday. Coach Mancini said
after the game, RSeveral players, really only a few, left their
toolboxes at home.S

This is RFinal ExamS week. The players need to focus on their
academics. Friday night UAA visits MTU. From all indications,
UAA can be a demanding foe. If MTU expects to regain at the
WCHA lead, it will need a much better performance than that
given last night. In looking over league play, MTU is only 0.625
and that is misleading: we have been playing fifty-fifty hockey
against every opponent except St. Cloud. We are a better team than
what we have proven thus far

Side note: the officials this weekend were generally excellent.
They let hockey be hockey but fairly called the serious fouls.
I am usually no fan of the officiating; but with the poor showing
that IUve seen in every game previously, this group of officials
clearly superior.

Walt Olson