From:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1993 18:44:32 GMT
My own views on the possibility of a move of the RPI Invitational to
the Knick are that it should not be done.

But I can see one scenario where it CAN be done.

First, to mention the possibility of the MudHawk Valley River Rats
nee CD Islanders move to the Knick, I have 2 words.

Albany Patroons.

Those who don't remember, the Albany Patroons were a CBA team that played
it's home games in the Washington Avenue Armory in Albany. Then 2 years
ago they decided to move to the KNick in order to increase attendance.
Well, to make a long story short, they needed sponsorship, so they became
the Capital REgion Pontiacs, and after last season, moved to a new location,
that which is to be determined.
Well, the move to the KNick essentially killed the Patroon franchise, because
the place was too big, and couldn't meet the expectations of the
home crowd.
The same scenario will in my opinion exist for the MHV River Rats, if they
do move to the Knick.  Drawing less than 1500 per game at the Fieldhouse,
curtain or no curtain, they will not draw the bigger fans.
My idea, let the franchise nest in the Fieldhouse until the fan base becomes
larger. And then, if the fan base is there, move to the Knick. Otherwise, STAY
PUT!!

Back to the Invitational.  Let's face it, one of the reasons that the
INvitational is not getting the teams is because of the location
of the tournament.  There are a lot of misconceptions about the Capital
Region, especially that of Troy.  When one can spend time over XMas break
in other cities such as Cleveland, Minneapolis, and so forth, why accept
a bid to come to Troy? Maybe I am blowing this point out of proportion.

A move to the Knick will never be realized unless the name of the tournament
is changed. What do I mean?  Why should the RPI INVITATIONAL not be at RPI?
It makes no sense to me, or anyone else I have talked to that there should
be a tournament with RPI's name not held at RPI.

So where does it go from here?  Well, a corporate sponsor would be the only
reason that this tournament would be moved to the Knick. For example:

The KeyBank Christmas Invitational

But, purists will complain, so here is my title for this proposed tournament:

The KeyBank Rensselaer Invitational

But, I don't think this will ever happen...........

*  Jayson Moy                   *  One of the Voices of Rensselaer Engineer   *
*  [log in to unmask]                 *  Hockey on 91.5FM WRPI, Troy                *
*                               *  And Rensselaer Baseball now too!!!         *
*                               *  And coming this Fall, Rensselaer Football! *