From:
Hector Villa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hector Villa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1993 09:42:50 CST
Mike writes:
About the Mexico City Cup (of ice hockey no field hockey :-) )
> How is it being received down there ? What are the crowds like ?
> Is ice hockey very new to the people in Mexico ?

Ice hockey is not a new game here, in fact I remember an amateur league
10 years ago played with mostly foreign students, but it is a game who
could not compete with football (soccer) or even baseball. The Pista
San Jeronimo, located in the southwestern of Mexico City has been
inaugurated with this cup. The first Mexico City Cup will be disputed
between USA and Canada on 12, 14 and 15 of May (I wrote the first game
was on 13 May but I was wrong it was Wednesday 12). The game was attended
by 1,000 to 1,200 people and for many it was the first game ever watched
in live. I will attend the last game on Saturday. The II Mexico City Cup
is scheduled to November or December with 4 teams, USA, Canada, Rusia and
one of Danemark, Sweden or Finland.
The Pista San Jeronimo is not the first ice rink, there were one named
Arena Revolucion and other Skatorama but they are closed, well the Arena
is now for roller skate and there is no Skatorama now (I think the word
is derruited ???).
This is another effort to introduce ice hockey, a game we only can watch
by ESPN and a game many of us find exciting and fast and I hope it
success here and that I could tell you about the II Mexico City Cup