From:
JOHN LEONAS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1993 04:50:15 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] (Yaron Steinhauer) writes:

|> |This is the most ridiculous thing for Brown to get a bid over RPI.  RPI :overall had a much better season then Brown and shouldn't be denied a bid :because of just losing to two top teams this past weekend in the ECAC :tournament.  A season isn't decided on one game which is what the committee :seems to have done as Brown
:upset Harvard.  RPI had a great season this year beating HARVARD, CLARKSON, St.
:Lawerence twice, Brown, and tieing the number 2 team in the east regional BU.
:Comparing that to Brown I do not see as many big wins as RPI had which is a :major reason why RPI should be in and not Brown.  Also Brown came in fourth in :the conference behind RPI who ended up a solid second in the conference with :more overall wins as RPI ended up the year with 20 wins and 11 loses and Brown :ended up wining only 17 games and also losing 11 with conference records of :15-6-1 and 13-7-2 respectively.  Brown is a quality team but a team that had :one big win this year and it is a disgra
ce that
:the selection committee only took this into account and not a look at what the :two teams did throughout the whole season.

It's too bad RPI didn't make it, but the NCAA seeds are reasonable.
Looking at the RPICH ratings, Brown actually finishes better than RPI.
This rating is based on I believe Opp Win % and Opp Opp Win % , among other
catagories.  Also, Brown finished the season on a tear (13-5-2 since January), overtaking Yale in the ECAC, and beating Harvard in the Semis.
  One can argue that the entire
season is what the bids should be based on, but realistically, the NCAA
wants to set up a tournament with the best possible teams.
RPI could have helped themselves by winning either of the
ECAC final four games in Lake Placid, but they didn't.  One of RPI's players,
(I think it was Kummu) said he didn't expect to get a bid himself.
As an RPI fan, I look forward to next season.  Congratulations RPI.

                        JOHN