From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1993 15:17:41 CST
> Another horrible weekend. Ugh.

> Bab Gilreath writes:
> > - Bob Mancini in an interview after the game said that on the delayed
> >    penalty call that Wisconsin scored on, Wisconsin had 7 players on the ice
> >    after they pulled the goalie, and the linesman reported it and the Ref
> >    refused to act on it.  He said he would review the tape and then ask
> >    Comissioner Otto for an explanation.  Obviously I didn't see the game
> >    any-one from Wisconsin care to give an objective view of what happened?
> >    I believe this was on the tying Goal.

I remember right after the goal counting badgers for some reason.  I
*think* I counted 6, which would be legal... I don't know why I
counted, but it looked really crowded in front of the net. MTU
complained about something, I thought that they were asking why the
whistle hadn't blown (ending the delayed penalty).

I don't think it affected the outcome, but the officiating was really
bad both nights. By bad I mean terribly inconsistant (both ways). The
linesman was better than last week, however...

On Saturday night, Mancini was irate over something when MTU got called
for a penalty (in the second period I think). After arguing with a ref
for a long time, and pointing up at the scoreboard (I assume at the
clock), the ref skating away.  Mancini threw something on the bench and
probably said something as well, because he got an immediate
unsportsmanlike conduct penalty from the ref (who was now 10 feet
away). Did the MTU press report what that was all about?

> Tony writes:
> >2.  (please answer this)  What is wrong with Harvard and
> >  Wisconsin right now???

In addition to Mark's comments, I'll add some additional observations
about the Badgers:

    - the power play is beginning to get back together, but they still
      don't shoot enough. The fans of course are really frustrated and
      call for them to shoot everytime they get the puck, which is
      silly, but they still seem to pass up good shots too often.

    - the badgers have gotten their share of bad bounces recently.
      Several times this weekend, they had good scoring chances, and
      either a stick broke, the puck bounced funny, or something else
      happened...  This happens to everyone, but if they had made a
      couple, I think it would go a long way to getting their
      confidence back...

    - Jim Carey was ok, but not stellar in goal Saturday night.  Jon
      Michellizi played Sunday, his last regular season game as a
      Badger. He also played ok, but not great. He lost his stick a
      couple of times, once leading to a goal, but he also made some
      good saves to keep the badgers in it.  I expect Carey to be in
      the nets down the stretch.

MTU played hard and very well against the Badgers. They were very
aggressive on the penalty kill, and it worked well. Ram was not
stellar either night, but had a couple of really nice, big saves
in both games. He certainly was the best goalie of the weekend.

        --david

--------
david parter                            university of wisconsin -- madison
[log in to unmask]                           computer sciences department