Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1993 12:38:29 -0500
Cornell 5 Union 2

Thanks to Arthur for posting the box.

Cornell lines:

LW              C               RW

Vogel           Hughes          Hammond
Drouin          Karam           McManus
Hannah          Chartrand       Scollan
Doll            DeHart          Lopatka

LD              RD

Holowatiuk      Ettles
Belzile         Shean
Fell            Dufresne

Bandurski

Comments:

This was a "must win" for the dispirited Big Red, and they controlled the
tempo for the entire game. The 31-16 shot total was indicative of the
performance. The Chartrand line was the engine of the Cornell offense, and
in general Cornell used their superior speed to great advantage.

There've been a few comments to the effect that Union got chippy towards
the end, but I don't agree. John Murphy and Paul Cerbo called their usual
game: they let everything go early and the players, obviously looking for
an edge, took more and more liberties. I was happy to see both teams
escape the last few awkward minutes without injury.

Misc:

Geoff Bumstead didn't play. He was reportedly injured (shoulder I think).

Tim Shean took Alex Vershinin's place on D. The improvement was quite
noticeable - I think Shean, yet another of Cornell's endless supply of
freshmen, has a bright future. He assisted Vogel's second period goal with
a textbook cross-ice pass to finish off a 2-on-1 break.

Shaun Hannah took a wicked hit at center ice in the first and got
attention from the trainer on the bench. The paper mentioned only a cut up
chin, but I could swear I witnessed a little spontaneous oral surgery -
yuck and ouch!

Jake Karam misplayed the puck in front of a prone UC goalie (Villa) after
an outstanding one-man effort to create a breakaway. Karam is the man who
I'd pick for a Cornell penalty shot; he's already got two huge goals this
year by creating his own 1-on-nones: to take the lead against Clarkson, and
to get close (2-3) at Vermont.

UC's Reid Simonton was, well ok I'll say it just this once, an asshole. I
assume that he's a decent player because he got a lot of ice-time and even
scored UC's first goal, but he got completely out of hand at the end of
the game, having to be restrained at one point by the officials when he
was sent off ice after getting a double minor with two minutes to go. Call
him the early front-runner for the Kevan Melrose award (least respected
opponent).

Andy Bandurski made a save *without his stick* in the second period. Chris
Felli also lost his stick but blocked a slapshot with his ankles.

Cornell Grades:

Offense:        A-      many missed chances, but hey, many chances
Defense:        A       solid effort, just 16 shots against Bando
Goaltending:    A-      one mistake on the first UC goal, then superb