From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 90 16:07:25 EST
Carol writes:
> I just recently was browsing through a NCAA rule book to determine if a team
> could be penalized for "actions" taken by their fans, and there is a sort of
> vague rule about this very thing! However, I do not have it with me and cannot
> give you an exact quote.  It said something to the effect of: if the fans and
> or band hinder play in any way the home team may be given a delay-of-game
> penalty. (I was looking this up in reference to the junk the North Dakota fans
> throw on the ice, and legitimatly they COULD HAVE received a penalty for
 this.)
> Anyway, if someone has their rule book handy (near their terminal) perhaps you
> would give us the exact wording. Thanks.

    Rule 6-25, p.71:

    b. In the event that objects that interfere with the progress of the game
 are
       thrown onto the ice, the official shall blow the whistle and stop the
       play; and the puck shall be faced-off at the spot where play is stopped.

       NOTE 3: If the fans continue to throw objects on the ice after being
               warned, a bench minor penalty may be assessed against the
               offending fans' team for delay of game.

    This rule also states that if a band continues to play during game action
    after they have been warned, a bench minor can be called against the band's
    team.

    - mike