From:
Mike Zak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 90 11:44:11 EST
I've heard this flaky RUMOR around campus before: That the NCAA would
require Clarkson's hockey team to drop out of Division 1 play.  The
reason is that the NCAA requires all of a school's teams to play in
the same conference.  I believe that there is a "grandfather" clause
that allows schools to keep thier mixed division teams if they existed
prior the enactment of the same division rule.  So from time to time I
hear that the NCAA would drop the "grandfather" clause and thus make
Clarkson drop from Division 1.  I'm pretty sure that this would effect
more hockey schools also, especially those in the ECAC.  Hey, we don't
even have a football team.  No big deal, they'd probably lose more than
SLU's does.  What I'm trying to say is that it would be a crying shame
for the NCAA to kill ANY school's deeply and richly traditionalized team
in ANY sport because of a silly rule.  Especially  if that school's team
is capable of being competitive in the division year in and year out.
If any other people have any info on this type of thing please let me
know.

Mike Zak
Clarkson '87, '90, ...