From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 1992 12:17:05 CDT
> Lunchtime news on our local counrty radio station here in Marquette have
> reported that the NC$$ investigation into the post Championship game
> activities of the Badgers is complete.  Although I didn't catch it
> all,Coach Sauer and one of his assistants have been suspended from their
> unnamed player(Zent?) for the confrontation of a linesman in the
> corridor leading off the ice.  The team was also accessed a penalty
> that will decrease the money they will receive for travel.  Does anyone
> know more about this or have corrections to my version of the findings/
> penalties?

This has been reported, in vuage terms, in the papers here for the last
few days.

The UW has received a letter from the NCAA specifying the sanctions.
Currently, the lawers are looking at it, and the UW will file an
appeal. They said they won't discuss it publicly until the appeal
process is complete (but they may release the letter sooner). Athletic
Director Pat Richter is out of town, and nothing will be done until he
returns.

Today's paper had an article (not a column) by Bill Brophy, the sports
editor, that pointed out that Maine's Shawn Walsh and BU's Jack Parker
were previously suspended for one NCAA game, but for publicly
criticizing the refs. Sauer has not said anything in public about the
ref, nor was he involved in the post-game incident.

The player involved is probably Blaine Moore. The assistant coach is
Bill Zito, a graduate assitant.

Apparently the penalties are a lot more than anyone here expected, and
there is an undercurrent of bad feelings in the way the papers are
reporting it.

	--david