From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2007 09:52:58 -0700
Greetings:
As many of you know i'm the Faculty Athletics Representative at the
Division II - non hockey - non football school where i'm employed.

Last month, I went to the FAR association's meeting in Baltimore.
A portion of the events included a talk by NCAA President Myles Brand
on what's going on at the NCAA.

A couple of years ago, the NCAA introduced something called "Academic
Progress Rate" for Division I programs. Brand reported that the NCAA
finally has data for high visibility programs. He noted that the NCAA
wants a 60% graduation rate. The percentage of Division I schools not
meeting that rate in various sports is
	30% wrestling
	35% baseball
	40% football
	45% men's basketball
Hockey is apparently doing better. I suppose one could ferret around
the NCAA site and find corresponding data for Ice Hockey.

The other tidbit worth sharing is Brand's remarks on the Knight
Commission report:
        Only surprise is that there were no surprises. (Remember the
        study was narrowly focused and looked at bowl schools faculty)
	the survey of faculty noted....

	62% concerned			-	faculty say there's a problem
	62% don't know issue		-	faculty are uninformed
	athletics rates 12 of 13 in	-	faculty don't care about it
	how important the issue is
	(only greek life was less important)

if you want to know more about faculty reps go to the site
	www.farawebsite.org
to see some interesting perspectives, click on the FARA Annual Meeting
tab and then follow the links to
	Ted Leland's Presentation and
	Jack Degioia's Presentation

Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I'd guess football would be one of the worst, because the season ends
> early in the school year, and once the season's over you don't even have
> the incentive of staying eligible.  And unlike hockey, there is no real
> non-college alternate path to the pros.

Henry <[log in to unmask]> responded:

> I thought about football but then discounted it for one big reason: the
> size of the roster. There are so many players on the squad that I should
> think most of them, even the dimmer ones, would realise that they have
> 0% chance of a career in the pros. Therefore, they try to enjoy the
> experience but also go through the motions academically as well.

 /"\    ASCII Ribbon   | charlie shub                (719) 262-3492
 \ /  Campaign Against | [log in to unmask]        (mobile) 761-8778
  X    HTML in e-mail  | http://cs.uccs.edu/~cdash   (fax) 262-3369
 / \      and news     | University of Colorado at Colorado Springs