From:
Rita-Ann Monde <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2007 17:36:11 -0400
On Mar 18, 2007, at 5:31 PM, J. Michael Neal wrote:

> David Parter wrote:
>> As a Wisconsin fan, I'd like to point of that it isn't the Wisconsin
>> fans who are complaining, and saying that "we" deserve to be in the
>> tournament. The fact is, if the Badgers had won even a few more
>> games --
>> especially some critical games -- they would be in a stronger
>> position
>> in the pairwise. Wisconsin had a rough season, no doubt.
>>
>> The point being made isn't about one particular team -- but is there
>> something in the current selection process that is flawed (yes,
>> I'm sure
>> we can all find something -- maybe not the same thing -- flawed in
>> the
>> current process) in a way that is creating a tournament field that
>> isn't
>> "the best"?
>>
>> I can't say - I've seen less college hockey this year (and most
>> years)
>> than some of you. I haven't seen enough of the other teams. But I do
>> think it isn't just Wisconsin -- a couple (perhaps even "several")
>> WCHA
>> teams that are not in the tournament this year would probably be
>> favored
>> to beat several of the teams that are in the tournament. I don't know
>> enough about the other leagues to evaluate if others can say the
>> same.
>

> This is all true.  I'm only using Wisconsin as an example because I
> had already examined their schedule pretty thoroughly in order to
> answer a completely different question that I had.  What I am
> saying is that the selection system is broken, because it does not
> give sufficient credit for playing a difficult schedule.  One of
> the absurdities is the whole RPI bonus for road non-conference
> victories.  Why is it more valuable for Maine to win in Grand Forks
> than it is for Wisconsin to win in Grand Forks?  Aren't they the
> same accomplishment?

I'm not sure what the correct answer is, but maybe the "bonus"
provides some incentive for teams to be willing to travel to another
school's rink and play games there.

Your conference schedule and opponents are set and there isn't
anything a school can do about that (short of switching conferences,
see college hoops). However, if the bonus