From:
BOB STRONG <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1992 08:58:21 EST
It brought back refreshing memories to see Dave Merhar's name on
somebody's recent submission of a list of 100 point scorers.  I was
a plebe at West Point during 1968-1969, and like all plebes, was
expected to know enormous trivia and sports statistics regarding Army
players.  Somebody high jumped 7 feet that year, and the Army basketball
team led the nation in scoring defense (53.5 point per game) under Coach
Bobby Knight (now at Indiana) and team captain Mike Krzyzewski (now
head coach at Duke).  The baseball team lost to the NY Mets 4-0.
     Dave Merhar scored 109 points that year, including 57 goals and 8
hat tricks.  If I remember correctly he was NOT selected on any
All-America team, to the disgust of most of the academy's hockey fans.
Army beat Northeastern, Yale, and Merrimack that year; I believe their
record was 17-8.