From:
"Dr. Bob Hamilton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:54:11 -0500
Notes on the CC - AA match and brawling in general.  First, I found a somewhat more detailed report. Looks like DU and Bemidji will benefit from the DQ's.  Too bad Dairy Queen started there cup in MN or this game would be likely to take the DQ trophy for the current season.

Quite coincidentally, a CC prof's study on fighting the NHL was reported less than a month earlier.  His results, while showing that major penalties help, would not seem to apply to fights after the game is over.  This would seem to go back to the comments posted earlier on competitive "fighting" in sports.

Brief snippets and links to the full stories are presented below.      Bob Hamilton

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/ncaa/article/0,2777,DRMN_23932_5205618,00.html

Fighting in NHL helps your team win, statistics show
Adrian Humphreys National Post Monday, November 13, 2006
"The bottom line is ... your major penalties help your team," said Aju Fenn, a professor of sports economics at Colorado College and an author of the study. Fighting "rallies your teammates."

Despite increasing public unease over violence in hockey, a statistical analysis of NHL data by university professors shows that on-ice fighting is a good strategy for team success.

An intensive numbers-crunching of five years of statistics shows major penalties -- those most often issued for fighting -- increases the total points of the offending player's team and decreases the number of goals scored by their opponents.

Hockey goons must be careful, however. Only major penalties help win games; minor penalties lower a team's success, according to the analysis.

The team of professors at the Department of Economics and Business at Colorado College in Colorado Springs and the School of Business at the University of Sioux Falls analyzed data for all NHL teams from the 1999-2000 season through to 2003-2004.<<
http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=7f24bbbd-cc6f-4046-92e0-bb2e2eb2f5af&k=5394